It's hard to believe the term "sustainability" has been on the modern radar for more than 30 years. What did we know in 1987? Not as much as we know now, that's for sure. It's inspiring to be part of the growing awareness—and more importantly, taking actions—that help us move the needle toward the "green." Around the world, across industries and one person at a time, it's encouraging to see that we are all in this together.
For those of us in the business of biotech and medical innovation, sustainability is a gratifying—yet challenging—strategic goal. Our products and services keep people alive in emergencies, restore quality of life, extend years together, improve mobility, ease pain and even cure disease. Those goals come with a price that requires Herculean sterility and protective measures that don't often jump right in with the mindset of recycle, reuse, reclaim.
In celebration of all things sustainable (and the upcoming release of our new sustainability report), we realized the season of giving is fast approaching. Here is a list of some green gift ideas and sources to spread responsible, sustainable cheer.
THE 2019 OLIVER HEALTHCARE PACKAGING UNOFFICIAL GREEN GIFT SOURCING GUIDE
- 4OCEAN BRACELETS. Every bracelet sold takes a pound of trash out of the ocean! That's $20 well spent. Fun varieties even let you pick your recipient's passion – save the Dolphins, Hawaiian Monk Seals and Everglades, to name a few.
- ZERO WASTE STARTER KIT. We just have to start by saying this cool gift is from "packagefreeshop.com." If that doesn't sound counterproductive to a packaging company, we don't know what does. But gifts are not life-saving medical products, so we are all in. This really full kit is great for anyone teen and up, with lots of stuff to make everyday life less wasteful.
- ROTHY'S MERINO COLLECTION. Beautiful flats from animal-loving farms producing kindly-sheared wool and blending it with Rothy's "signature thread spun from repurposed plastic water bottles."
- SMALLABLE SUSTAINABLE TOYS. From unique, organic baby lovies and attention-getters to puzzles, pull toys and other fun stuff, we loved Smallable's toys for all ages.
- NIMBLE WIRELESS CHARGER KIT. Elves on overtime! Get this: a PLANT-BASED wireless charger kit! Using recycled plastic, plant-based bioplastics and plastic-free packaging, we are intrigued and inspired. Not to mention, this product is super cool-looking and functioning for all the biggest tech brands.
- MATT & NAT. Stylish products made from stuff like bike tires, recycled nylons, cork and other smart science. The linings for their vegan leather goods are made from 100% recycled plastic bottles. Matt & Nat's offers men's and women's footwear, outwear, accessories and lifestyle products will win hearts, and help our planet.
- STASHERBAG. Another versatile gift for anyone who ever takes food with them anywhere! They call it "The Stasher Ecosystem: Keep it Fresh and Keep it Together (while keeping it out of the ocean). All kinds of pure platinum silicone packs, boxes and wraps. If you are wondering, pure platinum silicone is primarily…SAND.
Let us know your favorite “sustainable” gift idea!